When it comes to washing our clothes, it seems simple. And when in doubt, just set the washing machine on cold and line dry, right? Well, that’s what most of us did the first time someone wasn’t there to guide us. Luckily, we’re here for you when it comes to washing camo. Here are six things to remember about how to properly wash your FR camo:
1. Remove items from the pockets and all patches along with any excess dirt or mud from the garment.
Like most garments, anything left in the pockets while in the washing machine could soil the garment further. And you don’t want to ruin your patches, do you? Don’t forget to remove those. Finally, if there is excessive dried on dirt or mud, remove that before washing or the garment may need to be washed several times. Who has time for that?
2. Close all hook-and-loop fasteners.
This will prevent any snagging during the wash cycle. You don’t want your high quality FR camo looking unnecessarily distressed after just one wash!
3. Turn garments inside out.
This not only prevents damage to the VELCRO®, it will improve color-fastness of the garment. Don’t you want your camo pattern to look its best as long as possible?
4. Use cold/warm water on permanent press cycle with NON-UV detergent.
To avoid shrinkage, fading, damage, and wrinkles to your camo garment, the permanent press cycle with cold/warm water is the answer. This wash cycle combines the agitation of the regular cycle for deep cleaning with the slow spin of the delicate cycle.
Why does NON-UV detergent matter you ask? Well, ultraviolet (UV) detergent used on camo can be detected by UV lights and some animals. To utilize camo to its full potential, NON-UV detergent is a must.
5. Rinse completely.
If your camo uniform or flight suit is not thoroughly rinsed in the wash cycle, run the washing machine on the rinse cycle or hand rinse if necessary.
6. There are a few “do nots” to note.
As with many garments, FR camo uniforms and flight suits have a list of things you should not do when washing. If curiosity has gotten the best of you, here they are:
- Do not wring or twist the garment. This will distress the garment and cause stretches, creases, and wrinkles.
- Do not use bleach. Since bleach removes color, this will ruin the camouflage leaving white blotches all over the garment.
- Do not use fabric softeners. These coat the fibers and limit the garment’s antimicrobial (odor eliminating), moisture wicking, and flame resistant properties. It is also a flammable substance and could serve as fuel in the event of a fire, so definitely steer clear of softeners.
- Do not dry clean, starch, or commercially hot press. The chemicals used in these processes can have the same coating and masking effects as softeners. We don’t want to eliminate the flame resistant, moisture wicking, and odor eliminating properties, right?
- Do not apply heat or iron the hook or loop fastener areas. This can cause damage and inability to use the hook and loop fasteners.
As long as you follow these instructions, your DRIFIRE FR camo garment is sure to be in top shape for any situation. You can focus on the job at hand and our FR camo will keep you protected, dry, and odorless.
Click here for step-by-step FR camo wash instructions.
Have questions? Reach out to our friendly DRIFIRE experts or give us a call at 1-800-553-0672.